Dr Kia C. Ng 黃嘉聰
BSc(Hons), PhD, FBCS, FIoD, FRSA, CITP, CEng, CSci
Senior Lecturer in Computing & Music, and
Director of ICSRiM
Kia is a senior lecturer at the University of Leeds where he is director and co-founder of the Interdisciplinary Centre for Scientific Research in Music (ICSRiM).
Kia involves in several research domains relating to 2D and 3D imaging, multimodal analysis, gestural interfaces, interactive multimedia, digital preservation, computer vision and computer music, in collaboration with many European and international organisations and individuals in the field. Large-scale projects include i-Maestro on
technology-enhanced learning (Coordinator), CASPAR on digital preservation and AXMEDIS on cross-media (Principle Investigator) with over 20M Euro research funding.
He has also worked on automated recognition and restoration of printed and handwritten music manuscripts, paper texture and watermark analysis. His Music via Motion (MvM) system allows users real-time control of musical sound using their physical movement.
Kia has more than 200 publications and presented talks in over 33 countries including keynotes and invited lectures in Canada, China, France, Germany, Japan, UK, and USA. He has appeared on television and radio interviews such as BBC, Sky, and has been featured in the New York Times, Guardian, Financial Times, Sound on Sound, Photonics Spectra and others.
Kia has also organised over 18 international events including conferences, exhibitions and a convention and he is current chair of EVA London conference series - one of London's most innovative and interdisciplinary conferences in the field of digital visualisation.
Interdisciplinary projects include:
- Ruskin Rocks, www.leeds.ac.uk/ruskinrocks/, www.ruskinrocks.org.uk, supported by Natural England, in collaboration with Dame Evelyn Glennie, Brantwood, the School of Earth and Environment, and others.
- I-MAESTRO: Interactive Multimedia Environment for Technology Enhanced Music Education and Creative Collaborative Composition and Performance, www.i-maestro.org, supported by EC IST FP6 (as Project Coordinator)
- AXMEDIS: Automating Production of Cross Media Content for Multi-channel Distribution, www.axmedis.org, supported by EC IST FP6 (principle investigator)
- CASPAR: Cultural, Artistic and Scientific knowledge for Preservation, Access and Retrieval, www.casparpreserves.eu, supported by EC IST FP6 (principle investigator)
- Interactive Multimedia MUSICNETWORK, www.interactivemusicnetwork.org, supported by EC IST FP5 (principle investigator)
- COST287-ConGAS: Gesture Controlled Audio Systems, supported by the European Science Foundation (as UK representative)
- Music via Motion, supported by the Arts Council England (principle investigator)
- Yorkshire Quarry Arts, supported by the MIST (The Mineral Industry Sustainable Technology programme)
- and others
Research Assistants/Officers/Fellows & post-doc, past & present, include:
- Dr Alex McLean, ICSRiM
- Eleni Mikroyannidi, BEng (Patras), MSc (Manchester)
- Alexander J. Mikroyannidis, BEng (Patras, Greece), MPhil, UMIST, PhD
- Samarasena Buchala, BSc, PhD
- Thijs Koerselman, BA (HKU), EMMA (HKU, Netherlands)
- Oliver Larkin, BA
- Minh Thang Dang, BSc, MSc, Leeds
- Royce J. Neagle, BSc, PhD, Leeds
- Siew Bee Ong, BSc, MSc, Leeds
- Tran Vu Pham, BSc, Wollongong, Australia, MSc, PhD, Leeds
- Garry Quested, BSc, Leeds
- Ali Asad Khan, BSc, Lahore, MSc, Leeds
Research postgraduate, past & present, include:
- Matt Benatan (PhD, Computing)
- Joanne Armitage (PhD, Music)
- Ian Hales (PhD, Computing)
- Phoebe Bakanas (MSc, Computing)
- David Moore (MSc, Computing)
- Hazem Hiary (PhD, Computing)
- Eleri Pound (PhD, Music)
- Garry Quested (PhD, Computing)
- Moaath Al-Rajab (PhD, Computing)
- Richard Sage (MA, Music)
- David Bradshaw (MA, Music)
- Charles O'Neill (MA, Music)
- Royce Neagle (PhD, Computing)
Learning and Teaching duties include:
- module leader, COMP3300 on Computer Vision
- co-programme director, BSc (Hons) Music Multimedia and Electronics (MME)
- module leader, MUSS5631M on Computer Music Practice
- module coordinator: Computing electives
Other duties include:
- Coordinator of the International Computer Music Association Working Group on Interactive Systems and Instrument Design in Music [icmc array]
- Co-owner of the London Virtual Reality Special Interest Group (LVRG) mailing list
- Scientific Director of the Leeds University Centre for English Music (LUCEM)
- Editorial Consultant of the Computer Music Journal, MIT Press
- Director of the Applied Modelling Technology Ltd.
- Chairman of the Music Imaging Ltd.